Sweet & Sour Vegetables
This is a great vegetarian dish.
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 medium sliced peeled carrots
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 large onion, cut in 1 inch chunks
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut in 1 inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 3/4 cup unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
In large skillet,bring 1/4 cup water to a boil on high heat.
Add the carrots, mushrooms, water chestnuts, onion, and bell pepper.
Cover and cook on high for 1 minute.
Remove the cover and cook vegetables until tender (about 8 minutes).
**If pot goes dry, you may add 1 Ttbs water in at a time.
Set aside and keep warm.
In small bowl, dissolve cornstarch in pineapple juice.
In small saucepan, over low heat, combine the garlic and water; bring to boil.
Stir in the ketchup, pineapple juice, soy sauce and vinegar; return to a boil.
Add cornstarch mixture and stir until thickened and bubbly, approx 1 minute.
Pour the sauce over the vegetables and toss to coat.