Mushroom Fried Rice
This is a GREAT fried rice recipe and a wonderful way to use up leftover rice. Adapted from a Gourmet Magazine recipe...
- 8 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/2 lb fresh shiitake mushroom
- 1/2 lb white mushroom
- 3 bunches scallions, minced
- 3 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 cups chilled white rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons rice wine or sherry wine
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
Mix the soy sauce and broth together in a small bowl.
Heat oil in a deep skillet or wok until hot but not smoking.
Add garlic and stir fry for 15 seconds or so.
Add fresh mushrooms and cook 1 to 2 minutes, until slightly softened.
Add rice wine or sherry and cook until mushrooms are tender (about 3 more minutes).
Stir in scallions and cook until almost all liquid has evaporated.
Add rice and cook, stirring frequently, about 2 minutes (or until heated through).
Stir in soy and broth mixture, salt and pepper, and cilantro, if using.
Give the whole thing a good toss.