Tofu and Greens
Source: The Moosewood Restaurant Kitchen Garden
- 2 cakes of tofu, frozen overnight and thawed
- 1/2 c. water or vegetable stock
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 c. cornmeal or cornstarch
- 1/3 c. soy sauce
- 1/4 c. rice vinegar
- 1 T. finely grated gingerroot
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- dash cayenne
Gently squeeze as much liquid out of thawed tofu as possible.
- 3 T. soy sauce
- 1/4 c. dry sherry
- 2 tsp. rice vinegar
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- Vegetables: 3 T. oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 c. thinly sliced onion
- 6 c. mix of coarsely chopped pak choi, chard, kale, nappa cabbage
or 9 c. chopped spinach
Cut tofu crosswise into 1/2-inch thick slices, then diagonally, to
make 4 triangles.*
Combine marinade ingredients and mix well.
Arrange tofu triangles in one layer in a dish and cover with marinade.
Allow to sit for at least 10 minutes to absorb the flavors.
Prepare sauce mix by combining all ingredients in a small bowl.
In a separate bowl mix the water or stock and the 1 tsp. cornstarch.
Dredge marinated tofu pieces in cornmeal or cornstarch and fry over
medium heat in 1/8 to 1/4 inch of oil, for 3-4 minutes on each side.
Drain and keep warm in 200F oven.
Add leftover marinade to sauce mix.
Heat 3 T. oil in a wok. Stir-fry garlic and onion until onion is
Add greens and continue stir-frying until just wilted but not mushy.
Add sauce mix and cornstarch mix and stir-fry just until sauce is
Add reserved fried tofu.
Serve with rice.
* I cut the tofu into many more smaller triangles.