Chinese Vegetarian Sweet and Sour Spareribs
from The Doctor
Original from about.com. Actually.. it's vegan.
SERVES 2 -4
- 10-12 cups water, for boiling walnuts
- 4 teaspoons salt, for boiling walnuts
- 3 ounces fresh shelled walnuts
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon oil, for stir-frying
- 6 ounces pineapple slices
- 1/2 cup sweet and sour sauce
- 1 medium carrot, shredded, for garnish
Bring 5 to 6 cups water with 2 teaspoons salt to a boil and boil walnuts for 5 minutes. Drain. Using cold water repeat one more time. Drain and cool.
Mix cornstarch with the water and set aside. [If lumpy. well there are such things as blenders -- ].
Add 1 tbsp oil to wok and heat.
Add walnuts when hot and stir fry briefly then add the peppers and the pineapple.
Stir in the sauce.
Restir the corn starch mixture and add. Mix. It will thicken and serve hot garnished with the carrot.