Serving Size: 1
Soak beans overnight or use quick soak method (bring beans and water
to cover by 1" to a boil for 5 min.
- 1 pound White beans (like great Northerns)
- 2 large Onions -- diced
- 2 tablespoons Ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon Chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Poultry seasoning
- 2 To 4 oz cans diced green Chiles
- 1 8 oz can salsa verde (optional)
- 7 cups "chicken-like" or veggie Stock
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1/2 pound Tomatillos -- cleaned & Quartered
- 1 cup Fresh cilantro -- coarsely Chopped
- 1 each Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons Fresh lime juice
- 1 cup Chopped green onions
Turn off heat and cover.
Let sit 1 hour, then proceed).
Pour off soaking water and cover beans with fresh water and bring
to full boil.
Lower heat and simmer.
While beans simmer, in a large soup kettle or dutch oven, saute
onions using your favorite ff method (I use a little stock), when
translucent, add cumin, chili pd, poultry seasoning, green chiles
and salsa verde.
Saute for 5 minutes, adding a little stock if it begins to stick.
Then add the rest of the stock, bay leaves, tomatillos and 3/4 c
Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered while beans continue to cook.
When beans are just tender (1-2 hours) add them to the soup pot
and simmer everything together for another 1/2 hour.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Just before serving, add the rest of the cilantro and the lime
juice, stir to blend.
Ladle into big bowls and top with green onions.