Chili with Rice
From: Karen C.
I have a bunch of chili recipes. Here's one I haven't tried yet:
Serving Size: 8
In a soup pot, heat water and tamari.
- 12 ounces dry beans -- kidney, chili, or Jacob's cattle
(soaked over night and cooked with 1/2 teaspoon chili powder and
1/4 teaspoon dried chili flakes under 15 lbs pressure for 7 minutes
-- reserve cooking liquid)
- 2 teaspoons tamari soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 small onions -- chopped--about 1 cup
- 3 small carrots -- chopped--about 1 cup
- 3 small peppers -- chopped--about 1 cup
- 5 tomatoes -- peeled and coarsely chopped--about 2 cups
- 1 large can tomato juice--no salt added if possible
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper -- or to taste
- 1 1/3 cups brown rice-uncooked
When water just begins to boil, add onions, carrots, and peppers.
"Saute" until vegetables start to soften.
Add tomatoes and cook 3 minutes longer.
(If fresh tomatoes are out of season used canned and skip the 3 minutes
Add remaining ingredients and enough of the been cooking liquid to
give to appropriate chili consistency.
Bring to the boil.
Reduce heat and cover.
Simmer at least 50 minutes to cook the rice.
It can cook much longer--even all day in a crock pot.