Vegetarian Crock Pot Chili
Adapted from a recipe at http://www.stretcher.com/
- 1 onion
- 2 small zucchini
- 1 small garlic clove
- 8 oz. mushrooms
- 1 large can crushed tomatoes
- 1 can each, red kidneys, garbanzo beans, white kidneys, black beans (If you use dried beans, you must soak and cook them first).
- 2 1/2 cups prepared brown rice (rice soaks up the extra moisture that comes from crock pot cooking)
- 1/8 tsp. powdered red pepper
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. oregano (or substitute your favorite chili seasonings)
Chop vegetables and lay on bottom of crock pot. Add tomatoes, seasonings, beans, and rice. Do not mix together. Turn crockpot to low and let cook 6-8 hours (I just let mine cook away until I get home from work and I've never had any problem with it cooking longer than the average time for comparable recipes in crock pot books). When you get home, stir mixture and return lid while you set table.
Welcome to healthy eating! Fatfree Vegan Recipes has hundreds of delicious oil-free vegan recipes as well as information about healthy low-fat and fat-free vegan diets.