Linda McCartney's Chili Non Carne
From: Karen Sonnessa
The best chili you'll get this side of Tijuana!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion -- chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder -- (or more, to taste)
- 2 packets TVP Chunks* or -- (4 1/2 ounce vegetable burgers --
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock or water -- (3/4 when using vegetable
- 1 can tomatoes -- (16 ounce) chopped, liquid reserved
- 1 can red kidney beans -- (16 ounce) do not drain
- 2 Mexican green chilis in brine drained -- chopped (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper -- to taste
This is one of our favorite vegetarian recipes.
Serve with rice, mashed potatoes or an avocado salad.
Heat oil in large saucepan.
Add onion, saute until golden brown.
Add chili powder and TVP, saute 5 minutes.
Add vegetable stock, tomatoes, kidney beans, green chilis and reserved
liquid from tomatoes.
Cover, simmer 20 minutes *TVP can be purchased at specialty health
Recipe courtesy of A Musical Feast - Recipes from over 100 of the
world's most famous musical artists