(From "Whole Foods for the Whole Family")
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 to 2 carrots, grated
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 to 2 green peppers, chopped
- 1 to 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 to 3 cups kidney beans, cooked
- 4 cups chopped tomatoes, with their liquid
- 1 tsp. each basil and oregano
- 1 tsp. chili powder, or to taste
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp. salt or less
- dash of pepper
- 1/4 c. raisins
- 1/2 to 1/2 c. sesame seeds
- 1 recipe cornbread or whole wheat pasta
Saute garlic and vegetables (except tomatoes) in oil.
- 2 tbsp dry wine or vinegar
- 1/2 lb. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
Add nuts, beans, tomatoes, seasonings, raisins and wine if used.
Simmer for at least 2 hours, until thick, in covered pot or slow-cooker.
Serve topped with, over cornbread or pasta.