This is my best black bean chili, although a little unconventional:
Sautee onion in small amount of oil until limp.
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2-3 cups black beans (cooked or canned) (sorry, I dont' measure)
- 1 onion, chopped
- spices - chili powder, cumin, etc (orig. recipe mentioned cocoa
- garlic, lots
- tomatoes, fresh or canned
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- chipotle peppers (canned, with adobo sauce)
Add chopped garlic and spices and let that cook for a few minutes.
Add the grated zest of lime and squash cubes, cook for about 10 minutes.
Add beans, tomatoes, water if it needs it, and as many chipotle peppers
as you can stand (they're hot) and some of that yummy sauce.
Cook until the squash is tender, at least a half hour, but it won't
hurt it to go longer.
Serve with cilantro and lime juice.