Bean Chili With Toasted Spice Seasoning
"Vegetarian Times" July, 1993; Serving Size: 8
- 3 Cups Dried black beans soaked
- 8 Cups Water
- 2 Each Jalapeno peppers minced
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Grated ginger
- 1 Each Bay leaf
- 1 Cup Chopped cilantro
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2 Tablespoons Chili powder
- 1/2 Tablespoon Oregano
- 1/2 Cup Sun-dried tomatoes
- 4 Cups Peeled chopped plum tomatos
- 1/3 Cup Uncooked bulgur wheat
- 1/2 Cup Boiling water
- Salt & pepper
Drain beans. Place in a large pot & add 8 c water. Bring to a boil.
Add peppers, ginger, bay leaf & 1/2 c cilantro. Cover & simmer for
1 1/2 to 2 hours. Remove from heat & discard bay leaf.
- 1/2 Tablespoon Mustard seeds
- 1/2 Teaspoon Fennel seeds
Place cumin seeds in a pot & toast. When seeds darken, add chili
powder, oregano, tomatoes.
Stir well & bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat & simmer for
In another bowl, combine bulgur with boiling water, cover & let
sit for 10 minutes.
When beans are cooked, remove 1 c & puree it with some cooking
liquid. Combine puree with remaining beans. Stir in tomato mixture
& bulgur. Season & simer for 10 minutes.
Place mustard seeds in a pot over medium heat, cover & cook till
seeds start to pop. Add fennel seeds & cover. Cook till popping
stops & fennel darkens. Pour over chili. Add remaining cilantro
& drizzle with olive oil.