From: Karen C.
Serving Size: 1
Coat a large Dutch oven with cooking spray; add margarine.
- vegetable cooking spray
- 1 T margarine
- 1 T garlic -- minced
- 1/2 t ground cumin
- 1/2 t ground turmeric
- 1/4 t cardamom
- 2 quarts water
- 3 t. McKay's Chicken-Style Seasoning
- 1 cup red onion -- chopped
- 2 cans whole tomatoes -- (14 1/2 ounce)
- drained and chopped
- 1 cup celery -- sliced diagonally
- 2 carrots -- scraped and sliced diagonally
- 1 medium-size sweet potato -- peeled and cubed
- 1 sweet red pepper -- cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups turnips -- cubed
- 2 cups zucchini -- cubed
- 2 T raisins
- 1 can garbanzo beans -- (15 ounce) drained
- 10 ounces firm tofu -- cubed
- 2 cups couscous -- uncooked
- 2 T. almonds (lightly toasted) -- sliced
Place over medium-high heat until hot.
Add garlic, cumin, turmeric, and cardamom.
Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
Stir in 4 cups water, McKay's seasoning, onion, and tomatoes.
Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes.
Stir in celery, carrot, and sweet potato; cook 5 minutes.
Add sweet pepper and turnips; cook 4 minutes.
Add zucchini, raisins, garbanzo beans, and tofu.
Cook 5 minutes.
Remove mixture from heat.
Bring remaining 4 cups water to a boil in medium saucepan.
Remove from heat.
Add couscous; cover and let stand 5 minutes or until couscous is
tender and liquid is absorbed.
To serve, place a half cup couscous in each individual serving bowl;
spoon 1 cup vegetable mixture over each serving.
Top with toasted almonds.