Spicy Peanut Stew With Cool Cucumber Sauce
From Vegetarian Times. This African stew gets its distinctive taste from creamy peanut butter and chile-laced chopped tomatoes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (about 2 tsp)
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch chuncks (about 2 cups)
- 14 1/2 ounces diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 lb butternut squash or acorn squash, cut into 1 inch chunks (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 lb cauliflower floret (about 4 cups)
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 6 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 head watercress, stems removed
Cool Cucumber Sauce
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded and minced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, rated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Cool Cucumber Sauce:.
Toss together all Cool Cucumber Sauce ingredients in small bowl. Set aside to serve with Spicy Peanut Stew.
Spicy Peanut Stew:.
Heat oil in large pot over medium-low heat. Add onion and celery, and cook 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent, stirring occasionally. Stir in ginger and garlic, and cook 5 minutes more, or until vegetables are soft.
Add potato and tomatoes. Increase heat to medium, and cook 5 minutes, or until sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally.
Stir in 2 cups water, and season with salt and pepper. Simmer partially covered, 10 minutes. Add squash and cauliflower, and cook 15 minutes more, or until vegetables are tender.
Whisk together peanut butter and 1/2 cup warm water in small bowl. Add to stew, and cook 4 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly. Spoon over rice, and top with watercress.