Senegalese (African) Peanut Soup
This recipe sound delicious! It is from Emeril Lagasse and his recipes always turn out great!
- 2 large sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil
- 12 roma tomatoes, halved and seeded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 cups smooth peanut butter
- 2 quarts vegetable broth
- 10 ounces unsweetened coconut milk
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Lightly coat sweet potatoes with one tablespoon of the oil.
Place on baking sheet and roast until fork tender, turning once, 35-45 minutes.
Toss the tomatoes with 1 tablespoon of the oil and spread in 1 layer on a baking sheet. Lightly season with salt and pepper and bake until shriveled, about 20 minutes.
Peel the potatoes when they are cool enough to handle.
Heat remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a small stockpot over medium-high heat.
Add curry powder and toast until aromatic, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes.
Add the onions and cook until soft.
Add the garlic and cook, stirring for 30 seconds.
Season with cayenne, then add the peanut butter and stir well.
Add tomatoes, potatoes, veg stock, and coconut milk and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
Remove from heat and puree in batches in a blender.