Moroccan Harira Soup
From: Wish I Could Cook
This thick soup is a wonderful comfort food. It's easy to make, delicious and healthy! I know the spices sound strange, but the end result is an excellent savory soup. Good enough for company!
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (2 cups)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained, liquid reserved
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (or garbanzo beans)
- 1/2 cup orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (or ketchup)
Cook lentils in pot of boiling salted water for 2 minutes. Drain.
Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion, parsley, cilantro, ginger, and cinnamon. Saute 5 minutes or until onion is soft.
Stir in tomatoes and saute 5 minutes more.
Stir in broth, chickpeas, lentils, reserved tomato liquid, and 3 cups water.
Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 45 minutes or until lentils are tender, stirring occassionally.
In separate bowl, whisk flour with 1 cup water.
Whisk in cilantro, lemon juice and tomato paste.
Add mixture to soup.
Add orzo to soup.
Cook for 5 minutes or until orzo is soft.