|Ethiopian Green Beans and Potatoes
Adapted from The Global Vegetarian
- 2 large white potatoes, diced (and peeled if desired)
- 1/2 lb. green beans, cut into 1-inch sections
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small jalapeño or serrano pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 15-oz. can stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lime juice
Bring enough water to cover the potatoes to a boil in medium saucepan, and place the potatoes in. Cook for 12 minutes over high heat. Add the green beans and cook for 3 to 5 minutes more. Drain the potatoes and green beans in a colander.
Heat large non-stick skillet. Sauté the onion, garlic, and jalapeño for about 4 minutes, adding a little water, if necessary to prevent sticking. Stir in the seasonings and sauté for 1 minute more. Add the potatoes and green beans, stewed tomatoes, and lime juice and cook for 7 to 10 minutes more over medium heat, stirring frequently.
Welcome to healthy eating! Fatfree Vegan Recipes has hundreds of delicious oil-free vegan recipes as well as information about healthy low-fat and fat-free vegan diets.