Ethiopian Alecha Wats
This is a lovely vegetarian version of an Ethiopian classic.
- 200 g onions, chopped
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 3 teaspoons berbere, spice
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into 3cm slices
- 4 green bell peppers, de-seeded and quartered
- 700 ml water
- 180 ml passata (tomato sauce)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 potatoes, cut into thick slices
- 2 tomatoes, blanched, skinned and cut into 8 wedges each
- 8 cabbage, wedges 3cm at the widest part
- salt and pepper
Add the oil and onions to a large saucepan and fry until the onions have softened, add berbere, fry for a minute then add the carrots, green peppers, water, tomato sauce, salt and ground ginger. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes before adding the potatoes and tomatoes. Cover and cook for 10 minutes before adding the cabbage. Season to taste and cook until the vegetables are completely tender (about 25 minutes).
Portion out into bowls and serve.