Eritrean Berbere (Red Pepper Spice Mixture)
This is an easy variation of a staple of Eritrean cooking. This one uses dry spices, whereas the "real deal" is made by drying ,roasting, pounding and grinding. For the ground chili, use dried (preferably a hotter one). It is used in many dishes. Add oil to this to make a paste, called da'lik.
- 2 cups ground red chili pepper
- 5 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground fenugreek
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Combine all ingredients. Mix thoroughly.
Store mixture in an airtight container.