From: Asa, Florida
Cover couscous with cold water, soak 10 minutes.
- 1 lb. couscous
- 4 tbs. olive oil
- 1 onion, cut in chunks
- 2 carrots, thickly sliced
- 4 baby turnips, halved
- 8 small new potatoes, halved
- 1 green pepper, cut in chunks
- 4 oz. green beans, halved
- 1 small fennel bulb, sliced thick
- 1 inch cube fresh ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tbs. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 3 tbs. red lentils
- 1-14 oz. can chopped tomatoes (or use fresh)
- 4-1/2 cups veggie stock
- 4 tbs. raisins
- rind and juice of 1 lemon
- harissa paste (red pepper--hot), to taste
Drain and spread on a tray for 20 minutes.
Stir occasionally with fingers.
Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat oil and fry veggies 10 minutes.
Add ginger, garlic, and spices, and cook 2 minutes.
Pour in stock, lentils, tomatoes, raisins, and season.
Bring to a boil and then simmer.
Meanwhile, steam couscous for 20 minutes.
When finished, spoon couscous in serving dish and check on stew.
If vegetables are cooked to your liking and seasoned well add lemon
rind and juice to it.
Add harissa paste to taste as well.
Serve stew from casserole dish separate from couscous.