Goddard - Shropshire UK (originally South Africa)
Serves 4 - 6
- 2 onions - sliced
- 3 cloves garlic - crushed
- 1 green pepper - cut into strips
- 1 leek - sliced
- 3 sticks celery - chopped
- 200 grams button mushrooms - sliced
- 2 large carrots - chopped
- 1 turnip - diced ( can use parsnip if desired)
- 2 potatoes - diced
- 125 - 250 ml vegetable stock
- 5 ml dried basil
- 5 ml dried thyme
- 5 ml mixed herbs (dried)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 125 - 250 ml vegan 'yoghurt' (Yofu etc.)
- 1 cup soft white breadcrumbs
- 125 - 200 ml grated vegan 'cheddar cheese' (scheese etc)
Preheat oven 180 C or 350F
Grease ovenproof dish
Saute onion and garlic till soft.
Add green pepper, leek and celery and saute till soft.
Add mushrooms and saute till pale brown
Add carrots, turnip and potatoes and pour over stock.
Season and add herbs. reduce heat and simmer 'til vegetables are
tender. thicken if necessary with potato starch, cornflour or vegetarian
Pour into casserole dish and pour over 'yoghurt'.
Mix 'cheese' and crumbs together and sprinkle over top.
Place in oven and heat through till top is brown and crisp.
I often add a courgette or two, use whatever is available.
Even meat-eaters enjoy this. I hope you do too. I come from South
Africa originally and brought this recipe with me to the UK.