Cape Verde Vegetable Soup
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 pinch summer savory or thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground dried red chili (or to taste)
- 1 cup sliced okra
- 3 cups chopped fresh tomatoes (or 2 cups canned tomatoes with juice)
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 2 cups sliced cabbage (cut into 1-inch lengths)
- chopped fresh parsley
- chopped fresh cilantro
Sautee the onions and the garlic in the oil for 10 minute Add the summer savory or thyme and the ground chiles and sautee gently, stirring often, for another 5 minutes.
Add the rest of the ingredients, excet the lemon juice, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minute Add the lemon juice.
Serve topped with chopped fresh parsley or more fresh cilantro or both.