Anyway, I thought I would share my favorite recipe with you.
(The original had a bit of olive oil but I just substituted vegetable
My husband learned how to make this in France from some Algerian
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
1. Saute onion in vegetable stock over med. low heat until translucent.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 t. turmeric
- 1/4 t. cayenne
- 1/2 c. vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 t. black pepper
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 3-4 whole cloves
- 3 medium zucchini
- 4 small yellow squash or yellow zucchini
- 3/4 large carrots
- 4 medium yellow or red potatoes, skins on
- 1 red or green bell pepper
- 1 15-oz. can garbanzo beans
2. Add all spices and cook for a few more minutes, stirring as
3. Add tomato paste, stir and simmer 2 minutes.
4. Cut the vegetables in large chunks and add all (not the beans)
and a dash of cinnamon; add water to cover.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for an hour
(This can cook slowly for 2-3 hours, if desired.)
5. Add the drained garbanzos about 5 minutes before you take the
veggies off the heat.
6. Put couscous in a bowl.
Pour boiling water over couscous and wait about 5 minutes.
Fluff with fork. (Ratio of about 1 1/2:1 of water to couscous.)
For added flavor, add some of the liquid from the veggie stew to
the couscous in place of some of the water.
7. Serve the stew over the couscous. Enjoy!