African Tomato Sauce
From: Animate Me
from congo cookbook
- 3 teaspoons oil (for frying, palm oil is most authentic)
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 tomatoes, chopped and mashed
- 1 bay leaf
- grated nutmeg (to taste)
- salt (to Taste)
- cayenne pepper (to taste)
Heat oil in a frying pan.
Fry onions for a 3 minutes.
Stir in all other ingredients.
Add water as necessary to make a smooth sauce.
Season to taste. Stir.
Bring to a slow boil, reduce heat, simmer for ten minutes.
Serve with fried Plantains or Yams.