African Sweet Potato Stew
Recipe By : adapted from Vegetarian Times Low-Fat & Fast (1997)
Serving Size : 6
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 large onion -- chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 3 cloves garlic -- minced, up to 4
- 18 ounces canned sweet potatoes, drained and chopped
- 14 1/2 ounces canned tomato wedges -- undrained
- OR diced tomatoes -- undrained
- 1 1/2 cups tomato juice
- 3/4 cup apple juice
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root -- up to 2
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes -- up to 1/2
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans
- 1/3 cup natural peanut butter
Heat 2 tbsp. water in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion; cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes, adding water if necessary. Mix in the cabbage and garlic; cook, stirring, until the cabbage is tender-crisp, about 5 minutes. Stir in the sweet potatoes, tomatoes, tomato juice, apple juice, ginger, and red pepper flakes. Reduce the heat to medium-low; cover. Simmer until hot and bubbling, about 6 minutes. Stir in the green beans and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in the peanut butter until well-blended and hot, about 1 minute.
Serve the stew with crusty bread and a salad, or spoon it over rice or mashed potatoes. Serves 6.
Original recipe posted to Veg-Recipes
Welcome to healthy eating! Fatfree Vegan Recipes has hundreds of delicious oil-free vegan recipes as well as information about healthy low-fat and fat-free vegan diets.