Back to the Phrases Index
Gujarati (West India)
- Hu maas machili nathi khato - I do not eat meat or fish
- Hu shuddh shakahari chu - I am a pure vegetarian.
- Hu doodh ane doodh thi baneli vastu nathi khato - I do not consume
milk or milk products
- Houn gosh ane machi nathy khato (masculine)/khati (feminine): I
do not eat either meat or fish
- Main Shakahari hoon - I am a vegeterian.
- Main Shuddh Shakahaari Hoon.- I am a pure vegetarian.
- Main maas-machhli nahin khata/khati (masculine/feminine) hoon. -
I do not eat meat [includes poultry] or fish.
- Main sirf shakahari khana khata/khati huin.- I eat vegetarian
Kannada (South India)
- Naanu shaakaahaari - I am a vegetarian
- Naanu maamsa thinnuvudillaa - I do not eat meat
- nanu motte thinnuvudhilla - I don't eat eags
- nanu meenu thinnolla - I don't eat fish.
- nanu halannu kudiyodhilla - I don't drink milk.
- mosaru = curds, majjige = buttermilk, benne = butter
- nanu hannu/hampalavannu thinnuthhene - I eat fruits/vegetables
Malayalam (language of the State of Kerala, India)
- Njan Sasyabhokkanu - I am a vegetarian
- Sasyaharam Manushyane Aarogyavanakkunnu - Vegetarian food makes
- Mi shaakaahaari aahe - I am a vegetarian
- Mi maams khaat naahi - I do not eat meat
Mizo (Mizoram, India)
- Sa ka ei lo - I don't eat meat
- Sa ei lo mi ka ni a - I am a vegetarian
- Artui, bawnghnute leh cheese ka ei lo - I don't comsume Eggs,
milk and cheese
- Sa ei lo dik tak ka ni - I am a pure vegetarian
- hami sakahari haun - we are vegetarian
- Malai maasu nakhanne - I don't eat meat
- Ma mansu khanna! I do not eat meat!
- Malai maasu monpardaina - I don't like meat
- Malai dudh ra phul nakhanne - I don't eat milk and eggs
- Ma machha khanna! - I do not eat fish!
- Ma sudha sakahari hoon ! - I am pure vegetarian!
- Ma dudh, dahi, moi, gheu, nauni, tar, phool khanna! - I do not
eat curd, buttermilk, ghee, butter, cream, eggs!
Tamil (South India)
(capital letters are elongated vowels. E.g., nAn rhymes with 'pawn')
- nAn saivam - I am vegetarian
- nAn saiva sAppAdu-thAn sAppiduven - I eat only vegetarian food
- nAn asaivam sAppiduvathu illai - I don't eat non-vegetarian food
- nAn mAmisam sAppiduvathu illai - I don't eat meat
- nAn meen sAppiduvathu illai - I don't eat fish
- nAn kozhi sAppiduvathu illai - I don't eat poultry
- nAn muttai sAppiduvathu illai - I don't eat eggs
- nAn pAl sAppiduvathu illai (or:) nAn pAl kudippathu illai -I
don't eat (!) (drink) milk
- anan kaikari mathum sapuduven - I only eat vegetables
There is no equivalent for Cheese in Telugu!
- Nenu maamsamu chepalu thinanu - I don't eat meat or fish
- Nenu shudda shaakaahaarini - I am a pure vegetarian
- Nenu gudlu, paalu, venna tinanu. - I do not consume eggs, milk
- pAlu, majjigA paravA lEdu - Milk and buttermilk are OK
buy Books, CDs or
Videos by these
vegetarianism, go to: