From a pencil Sketch by Mary W. Shelley
"The Cremation of Shelley"
(16 August 1822)
from a painting by Louis-Edward Fournier
[Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool]
- Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley (1797-1851)- Shelley's 2nd wife, author of Frankenstein etc.
- The life of Percy Bysshe Shelley: Vol.1 (link to google books)
- The life of Percy Bysshe Shelley Vol.2 (link to google books) by Jefferson Hogg, pub. 1858 (in 4 volumes but only 2 finished). This is a much critcised biography, more about Hogg than Shelley- see Salt's 'examination' of it below.
- George Bernard Shaw on Shelley (html) - extracts from the diaries, 1881-1892 mostly about the Shelley Society
- Shelley - from The Ethics of Diet by Howard Williams M.A., 1883.
- A Vindication of Natural Diet (original 1813) (link to archive.org) - new edition from 1884, with a preface by Henry S. Salt and W.E.A. Axon.
- The Shelley Society's papers. 1886-1888 (link to archive.org)
- Inaugural address, by the Rev. S. A. Brooke.
- On the vicissitudes of Queen Mab, by H. Buxton Forman.
- Shelley's view of nature contrasted with Darwin's, by Mathilde Blind.
- A study of Prometheus unbound, by W. M. Rossetti, pt. I.
- Note on The triumph of life, by John Todhunter.
- Shelley, Peterloo and the Mask of anarchy, by H. Buxton Forman.
- The hermit of Marlow, by H. Buxton Forman.
- Shelley and Lord Beaconsfield, by Dr. Richard Garnett.
- A study of Prometheus unbound, by W. M. Rossetti, pt. II-III.
- Appendix: The Shelley society's first and second annual reports, by W. M. Rossetti.
- Shelley and socialism, by Edward Aveling and Eleanor M. Aveling, pt. I.
- Shelley's faith, by Kineton Parkes.
- Shelley's metre, by Rev. J. B. Mayor.
- Shelley's philosophy of love, by Arthur Dillon.
- Shelley's nature poetry, by Henry Sweet.
- A study of Shelley's Julian and Maddalo, by H. S. Salt.
- Note on the "Identification of The Aziola of Shelley," by H. T. Wharton.
- Rosalind and Helen, by H. Buxton Forman.
- Shelley and the marriage question, by John Todhunter.
- Hogg's Life of Shelley, by H. S. Salt
- Shelley's Vegetarianism (html) - short article by Henry S, Salt, for The Vegetarian Annual, 1887
- A Shelley Primer (link to archive.org) - by Henry S. Salt 1887
- Percy Bysshe Shelley: A Monograph (in 15 Chapters) (html) by Henry S. Salt, 1888
- An Examination of Hogg's 'Life of Shelley' (html) - article by Henry S. Salt, 1889
- Shelley's Vegetarianism (link to archive.org) - by W.E.A.Axon, 1890
- Shelley's principles; has time refuted or confirmed them? (link to archive.org ) by Henry S. Salt, 1892
- Percy Bysshe Shelley, poet and pioneer; a biographical study (link to archive.org) - by Henry S. Salt, 1896
- Letters from Shelley to Jane Clairmont (1816-1822) (link to archive.org) - privately printed 1889
- Letters from Shelley to Elizabeth Hitchener - Vol.1, 1811 (link to archive.org) - privately printed 1890
- Letters from Shelley (& some by Harriet) to Elizabeth Hitchener - Vol.2, 1812 (link to archive.org) - privately printed 1890
- Letters from Shelley to William Godwin Vol.1 - 1812 & 1816 (link to archive.org) - privately printed 1891
- Letters from Shelley to William Godwin Vol.1 - 1816 to 1820 (link to archive.org) - privately printed 1891
- Letters from Shelley to Thomas Jefferson Hogg (1810/11) (link to archive.org) - with notes by W. M. Rossetti and H. Buxton Forman, 1897
Later books and articles:
- Shelley at Oxford (1810/11) (link to archive.org) - by Thomas Jefferson Hogg, Shelley's friend at Oxford. Originally published as a series of magazine articles in 1832/33. This edition from 1904 with an introduction by R. A. Streatfield. (In 1858 this was included in Hogg's much discredited 'Life of Shelley' - see the above article by Henry S. Salt)
- Peacock's memoir of Shelley, with Shelley's letters to Peacock (link to archive.org) - Thomas Love Peacock 1785-1866 - edited by H.F.B. Brett-Smith, 1909
- The Complete Poetical Works of Percy Bysshe Shelley (link to archive.org) - ed by George Woodberry, 1901
- The Complete Poetical Works of Percy Bysshe Shelley - edited by Thomas Hutchinson, M. A., 1914 (plain text .txt files) with Prefaces and notes by Mrs. Shelley:
- Volume 1 (.txt 1.25mb) - Major poems
- Volume 2 (.txt 404k) - Short Poems and Fragments
- Volume 3 (.txt 663k) - Translations, Epigrams and Juvenilia
- Selected prose works of Shelley (link to archive.org) - edited by Henry S. Salt, 1915 - The necessity of atheism -- A letter to Lord Ellenborough -- A refutation of deism -- A defence of poetry -- Essay on the literature, the arts, and the manners of the Athenians -- On life -- On a future state -- Essay on Christianity
- Shelley and Vegetarianism (html) - A brief study of the English poet's attitude to vegetarianism (IVU News Winter 1996/7)